viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013

Assignment 7: New York Times Article

In at least 3-5 sentences answer the following questions?
1. What problems does the article mention that children run into when they use search engines?
The article mentions that children have trouble to retrieve information. Because of that reason,  many companies are tying to make searching more easy and clear, not only for kids but also for adults. Kids do not always have the right context for a subject and companies like Google are trying to fix that, in order to get the correct result.

2. What suggestions have been offered for how search engines can improve their product to lessen children’s problems searching?
Companies can improve their search engines, and each one has their own ideas. One of the ways, Google is doing this is by showing related articles and with the Wonder Wheel . Bing thinks is better for kids to find the info they need in pictures. Google also increased the length of its search box and the size of the font. Voice-activated search can also help kids.

3. Do you search using keywords or questions? How does the article characterize these two types of searching?
It really depends on the task or assignment I'm doing to use keywords or questions. The majority of the time I use questions because keywords show me many things related to the topic and a question will give me something related to what I want. The article mentions that to find the information you want, it is necessary to type the right keywords. Kids, tend to ask more questions according to Scott Kim, chief technology officer at Ask.com.

4. Have you tried using images or videos to search? How does the article characterize this type of searching?
I have tried using images to search and find info but I don't like it because the majority have more information than what I want. Some videos are also very boring, I watch only if they are short and clear. The article mentions this help kids because related searches for example, videos can be helpful to children who often focus on their hands and the keyboard when they search and see that space first when they glance up.

5. What advice would you give to Internet search engine developers (like Google or Bing) for how they should improve their product? Do you think any of the improvements mentioned in the article are particularly promising? Why?
Advice I would give is to make pages for example Wikipedia to be more clear. It is so messy you don't even want to click the page and for Google to give you approved and verified information and not what the people think. I think all of the improvements are good because for example I learn different ways and sometimes I need pictures or I don't know what keyword to put in.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario